Organizations related to APO
There are many organizations that stem from APO. Some were founded when the fraternity decided to go co-ed, some were/are sweetheart groups.
Alpha Delta (ΑΔ)
Alpha Delta, commonly known as AD, is a college fraternity with 6 active chapters in the United States. Alpha Delta was initially formed by 14 men representing four colleges and universities at the Henley Park Hotel in Washington, D.C. on August 4, 2007. The fraternity was founded by former Alpha Phi Omega chapters that chose to maintain all-male membership after that organization became coeducational. Alpha Delta's cardinal principles are leadership, brotherhood, and service.
Phi Rho Eta (ΦΡΗ)
Phi Rho Eta is a nationally incorporated fraternity that was founded on August 22, 1994 at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois. Phi Rho Eta (ΦΡΗ) letters stand for Alpha Phi Omega's founder Frank Reed Horton. currently has seven chapter, three colonies, and two graduate chapters. The founders are LaMont Taylor and Marvin Randolph. Randolph and Taylor met as brothers of the Zeta Nu chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, and while there determined the ideas and implementation for Phi Rho Eta. Phi Rho Eta is based on the three principles of pride, respect, and excellence through community development, academics, and social interactions.
Theta Beta Phi (ΘΒΦ)
Theta Beta Phi was founded on January 17, 1998 in Bowie, Maryland. The history of the fraternity traces back to September 1991 when Mark Kendall Smith transferred to UMES after attending Tuskegee University. Mark pledged the Pi Zeta chapter at Tuskegee University and wanted to reactivate the chapter at UMES. Mark along with three others set out to reactivate the chapter, but due to hazing issues and the lack of females, their attempt was unsuccessful. The group tried repeatedly to reactivate the chapter over the course of seven to eight years, even making the petitioning group co-ed, but the Regional Director at the time Robert E. Lee Correll IV did not approve of their reactivation. This prompted the group to create Theta Beta Phi, which is still active today.
Gamma Sigma Sigma (ΓΣΣ)
Gamma Sigma Sigma is a national service sorority founded on October 12, 1952 at Beekman Tower in New York City. At the 1950 Alpha Phi Omega convention, brothers from Boston University attempted to get other chapters to have any women's groups that they worked with to contact a group of women that existed at Boston University. Less that two years later, 7 of those groups, Boston University, Brooklyn College, Drexel Institute of Technology, Los Angeles City College, New York University, Queens College, University of Miami, and the University of Houston got together and formed Gamma Sigma Sigma The purpose of Gamma Sigma Sigma is "to assemble college and university students in the spirit of service to humanity and to develop friendships among students of all races and creeds."
Omega Phi Alpha(ΩΦΑ)
Omega Phi Alpha is a national service sorority. It was founded in 1967 at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. Omega Phi Alpha, also known as OPhiA or OPA, currently has thirty active chapters in the United States. In 1953, the Zeta Kappa chapter of Alpha Phi Omega expressed interest in forming a group much like theirs to help them in their service endeavors. The brothers of Zeta Kappa formed interest groups for a new organization, and many of the attendees at these interest groups were women. The need for a female service sorority then became evident. The two groups were to be alike in objectives—friendship, leadership, and service. A similar name—Omega Phi Alpha—was chosen for the new organization.
There are several campuses that either has or had Phyettes as a Sweetheart Organization on their campus. While Phyettes still exist on some campuses they are few and far between. This organization was established by the brothers of Alpha Phi Omega, to help in conducting service projects and other functions needed by
the Fraternity. This is not a nationally recognized group, but their contributions are still felt throughout the fraternity today.
LOI is an acronym for Ladies Of Integrity. On the campus of the Prairie View A&M University, Alpha Phi Omega created a little sister/sweetheart organization called Phyettes. On several college campuses sweetheart type groups have been banned from campus. However, these ladies were strong in service and in organization. They created Phyette, Incorporated to stay as they were. They later became LOI, and won service awards, hosted annual reunions and, maintained a solid relationship with both chapters of Alpha Phi Omega and Gamma Sigma Sigma. This group does not appear to still be active.
The Jewels of Tau were founded on January 22, 1988, on the campus of the University of Florida, The Jewels were created by the brothers of Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity Incorporated in the early 1970's to help promote service within their communities. The Jewels were to become the first independently established sisterhood. In November of 1989, the Jewels severed all ties to Alpha Phi Omega, Tau chapter and became the Alpha Chapter of The Jewels of Tau, a privately owned, non-greek, non-profit, service organization. In 2000, their second chapter, Gamma Chapter was founded. The Jewels of Tau do not appear to still be active.
APO History Nutz (Facebook)